Most newer operating systems have a system health and monitoring capability. For example, in Windows 7 you do this:
- Log on as a local administrator on your computer, click Start, and then click Performance and Information Tools.
- Under Advanced Tools, select Generate a system health report.
- Log on as a local administrator on your computer, click Start, and then click Help and Support.
- Under the Pick a task, click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
- In the Task pane, click My Computer Information, and then click View the status of my system hardware and software.